Every people has birthstone. Have you known about your own birthstone? If you were born in August, you have to know about August birthstone color. Before talking about August birthstone color, let’s we talk about August birthstone first.
August birthstone is peridot. Peridot has olive green color, or it looks like green yellowish to brown. Peridot is suitable for jewelry. People have found this gemstone since long time ago. And same with other gemstone, it is hard stone and so resistant to scratch.
Peridot is not only August birthstone, but it is also zodiac stone for Libra. If you want to know more about August birthstone color, read the information below to know more about it.
Is the Color of Birthstone Important?
When we talk about gemstone, we will know that every gem has various colors. So, is August birthstone color important? The answer is yes. The color of birthstone will influence the value of birthstone. The color may make the gemstone more valuable. So, it will be important when purchasing process.
Facts and Information about August Birthstone Color
As explained before, August birthstone color is olive green, or it looks like green yellowish to brown. August birthstone is also zodiac stone for Libra. But, actually there are still many facts about peridot, such as:
- This gemstone has an elaborate written history. According to ancient record that appeared on Egyptian papyri, the mining of peridot has happened since 1500 BC.
- Peridot were mined in Topaz Island and become useful stone to make carved charms. Egyptians also believed that peridot is the gem of the sun.
- This stone commonly found in Arizona. But the gemstone is also found in Myanmar, China and Pakistan. Other sources of peridot are Mexico, Oregon, Russia, Sri Lanka, and Norway.
- Peridot always found in small size, or less than 3 carat. But sometime, people can find peridot above 5 carat, but that is so rare and may have higher cost. But DC’ Smithosonian Institution in Washington is famed to have cut the peridot of 310 carats.
- The range of its hardness is 6.5-7. So, renders peridot are resistant to scratch.
- The value of peridot depends on its carat, origin and also the quality. A peridot can cost $1 and $900 per carat.
The Meaning of August Birthstone Color
Now let’s we talk about the meaning of August birthstone color. Actually, the meaning of green color of peridot is renewal of nature or life. It also has Biblical meaning; which is Christian color for the season of Epiphany.
Peridot is also believed as gemstone which has many healing powers. Peridot is believed to keep friendship. People also believe that peridot can protect people from evil eyes. Peridot is also believed as gemstone that can bring jubilance and happiness, strengthen weak eyes and attract lovers. Other healing powers of peridot are believed to calm nervous system, cure liver diseases, aid detoxification, heal ulcers and constipation, and many more.
August Birthstone Color—Hue, Tone and Saturation
Impurities or structural defects that cause coloration will influence August birthstone colors. Talking about peridot, it can be divided into 3 different colors, which are hue (the first impression of color pale green), tone (the darkness or lightness of the ranging from light to medium, and medium to dark), and saturation (the intensity of peridot color that is measured from dull to strong, and to vivid.)
Well, those are some information for you about August birthstone color. Hopefully, the information above will be useful for you, especially for you who were born in August and want to know your own birthstone.